How to write a blog that makes the most money? Ever since I started Blogging towards the end of 2016, I was very confident that I would be able to hack the secret to a profitable blog. Initially, I believed I had a wide […]
Series of unfortunate work events undermining the will to be an employee I have many reasons to Blog. One reason is to expand my Blog into a cool value adding website with interesting tools and features that will make it a profitable venture. The […]
Cleanliness Epiphany: It is never too late to learn
Living in Milan for so long I have always appreciated a clean flat mate. Even more a flatmate who is willing to clean more and talk less about it. These guys always raise the cleanliness standards of a house.
I am a good influence too and do try my best to keep the house clean to Indian 30 year old male expat standards. But over the years living in Milan and observing different people from various nationalities cleaning up apartments, I have learnt a lot.
Firstly, Cleaning you house is a great idea!
My Cleanliness belief: Want to make yourself productive?
Figure out a way to clean your house perfectly. Do it like the professionals and you will raise your standard of living right there. No better investment of your time and money if you ask me.
I believe that cleaning is a huge task. It’s much more than just getting rid of the dirt, but it is also optimizing your furniture and things.
Cleaning your house is like re designing your website. And just like how a website loads faster when it is optimized, you would also function better when your house is optimized and clean.
Just like how you can always use a different perspective on your website, cleaning your house too needs different hands on work.
Everyone has a unique cleaning style,
The super nice Peruvian guy who visits currently, the previous tough Ukrainian lady, the pretty Argentinian girl, the Expert Cuban lady and the super cool Filipino dude all had unique styles to cleaning.
These were all cleaning professionals,
If you ask me, I would prefer all of them cleaning my house in turns while I myself spend equal time cleaning my own house.
Why you need to clean your house?
While one person misses a spot there, an other makes sure to get that clean. As you yourself are cleaning along, its your job to learn from their best practices.
The idea here is that you should learn to clean your own house so well that it becomes passion rather than an obligation.
That is the only way you can capitalize on the benefits of a super clean house.
Why should a student clean his room?
Coming to think of it, this one time our family was staying in a nice hotel for some days and I was attending school. The hotel had a nice wooden desk with a notepad and a pen. For some reasons, I was more motivated to study and the results in the consequent exams proved my belief.
A clean room makes you more productive.
On the other hand, life at IIT Delhi was too busy to manage a clean room. My performance too fell consequently. Without help from family to ensure my basic cleanliness and hygiene a young brat like me succumbed to squalor.
Luckily, I met a girl and things got better.
Cleaning your house has a huge effect on your life. Maybe the effects are little per second. But since you spend so much of your time at home studying as a student, the effects amplify.
As silly as it may sound, I believe that the best way to get rich is to start cleaning your house and yourself.
Invest the most on your hygiene and cleanliness and you will be so much more productive.
Netflix may lose viewers to marginal utility Most people who know me would agree that I am a movie buff. Or perhaps I was one. Having spent most of childhood in front of a screen watching almost everything international I could find in India. I […]
How I became qualified as an Expert in Exams?
So, I have been away from my blogging activity for a few days. Not that anyone noticed I am sure. Was preparing for a company online test based on programming in PHP and SQL. I did manage to quickly complete these basic courses on this app called Sololearn in order to sharpen the saw. I am not really much of a web developer. Mechanical Engineering at IIT Delhi takes you towards C, Matlab, Autocad and Pro E. The slightly advanced computer science courses on data structures and web development are available only as electives.
I am very fortunate to have known many interesting people during my days in Collage. Hanging out with engineers at Vindhyachal House, IIT Delhi, to friends from Delhi University, my career motivations gained a broad outlook. I had a Mechanical Engineering degree with low grades but from a great top class collage. Upon graduation, I was hell bent on exploring the world trying to gain valuable interpersonal skills. From learning Finance and Economics during my Masters in Finance at Bocconi University to working in Investment Consulting, Sales in a new foreign language/country and independent Web Development, I feel like I have been a bit all over the place. In other words, I have always been pro learning, often requiring only a nudge to keep going. And that is exactly one of my biggest weakness.
Now pessimism triumphs optimism while I write currently. I could have also seen it as my biggest strength. To be highly motivated with genuine enthusiasm upon seeing an opportunity or hope.
Motivation happens to be a major factor to my performance and for me it truly comes only when I have time for myself to think clearly and prepare short and long term plans, spend enough time to think and act independently before I accept a challenge.
E learning or App learning, whatever the terminology for this, is awesome. Studying and Gaming has never been more interconnected. Great job in teaching me the basics. But to really learn PHP and SQL, I knew from my extensive experience in writing exams, that I would have to dig in much deeper.
Best strategies to study for an exam?
As you can see, I am not actually much of an expert in studying but I really hope to help some body to do better with a few things I try to follow as part of my preparation. Let us strategies Sun Tzu “Art of War” style. Let us consider the two important scenarios that will determine your fate in the exams based on the variable: Time for the exam.
How to study if you have lots of time?
Here is my basic guide on how to study for any exam.
- Create a plan that will allow you to finish studying much before the actual exam. This should allow you to practice numerous mock or practice tests. The idea here is that you could be anyone, but if you follow a process you can get the job done. The process involves completing study in advance in order to practice enough simulations. This should allow you to not just do really good in the exam but almost predict your actual performance.
- Be prepared to give loads of time for the exam. Regular study everyday is like going to the gym everyday. You build your brain muscles by challenging it every day. Growing up in Kerala a highly literate state in India, I had great opportunities to read and speak English at a very young age. This definitely helped me immensely to study more in lesser time or understand new topics quickly. But to become really good in a topic, you have to put in the hours. If you want to learn programming, even if you are really smart, you would still need to get accustomed to reading the code. The ability to quickly process the information, analyze and answer comes with practice.
- Stay optimistic because you are following a plan and not because you did well in one exam. Overconfidence is like this big heavy weight tied to a pulley on one end while you are holding on to the other end. It will not only pull you so high, but will also take you around that pulley and bring you down with full force if you have not meanwhile built enough of your own solid value or weight to create balance.
- Handling the competition. Your performance in any exam finally depends on how much better you can do then your peers. The thing to understand here is even if you studied a lot, you should dig deeper. You have to keep up with your competition. Do something that they didn’t do in the preparation as well as do everything they did. For this you need time, try not to optimize time in studying so as to finish your preparation just before the exam. You need to leave some gap to test yourself to make sure you are well prepared. Your performance against the competition depends entirely on how much time you spend during this phase of complete preparation. Where you are completely prepared in advance and are just doing practice tests. By doing this, you get to focus more on how to finish answering all the questions in time.
How to study if you do not have much time?
Why are you even reading this? You should be studying instead of fooling around on the Internet. If you are already decided on studying little, then I can guarantee you that you that there will definitely be some one who will do better than you. That will make you feel really bad later. All because you wanted to study the minimum possible to get the best results. It is just not possible. But what is possible is that you could pass an exam maybe. Lets say you found yourself in an awful situation with a real tough exam. Let us say you have a little time, which needs to be used very productively to understand as much as you can. No fooling around one day before the exam. How do you get started?
- Get ready to boost motivation to 100%. You wasted your time away but now you have to be really productive to understand as much as you can ASAP.
- Find some one who can quickly teach you so that you can then know what to focus on. You could try to find some one like the gifted students from IIT Delhi who have taught batch mates an entire semester subject in a study session. A student already prepared could find the teaching experience to enrich his understanding. Teaching a topic does help to perform even better in the exam. He may at least be able to guide you quickly with the basics and key points to focus on.
- Should you finish studying everything or just study a major part of your course work?: Again, I hate you for even considering these options. Based on my own personal experience, I have come to realize that its best to finish studying the entire material. You never know where the easy questions are going to come from. A topic left untouched can haunt with simple questions that will take your class average higher leaving you feel like a real idiot till the next exams.Try to quickly go through the entire course and then try to focus on the specifics.
- Try to get the big picture and really enjoy the intellectual thought put in the subject matter. Never get satisfied with your studying till the morning before the exam. It is important to not get distracted 12 to 24 hours before the exam. The only way you can save some embarrassment is if you can some how spend really productive time with no distractions at all. This is a very risky thing to do and I do not recommend it. But if you do intend to even try this you need to understand that you should already have loads of studying experience in the past to achieve a feat like this. Not for the faint hearted. Studying without any distractions after a little meditation can really help.
Hope this helped some one somehow. Will try to update more study strategies when I can. Cheers!
Read more interesting stories at milankaraja.com
Science fiction can inspire like nothing other worldly Sci-fi or Science Fiction films have always brought deep thinking and entertainment to our screens. The application of topics in science like extraterrestrial life, time loops, plasma guns, dream trolling sequences and what not, bring in so […]
How my Alexa website rank became 3 million I keep checking my website ranking on Niel Patel’s website regularly. Click here to check your website’s SEO score now. I started out with an Alexa rank of 18 million and a page score of D when I first […]
How to break free from Passive Barriers
I was just reading a very interesting blog by Ramit Sethi on “The Psychology of Passive Barriers: Why Your Friends Don’t Save Money, Eat Healthier, or Clean Their Garages” , and thats how I came to read about Passive Barriers which are like things that do not exist and hence, make your task more difficult.
Examples of Passive Barriers could be a missing pen on your desk. Or a delayed renewal of your driving license if you have to pick your visiting parents up from the airport. Even not having a printer and having to go out and pay for printouts in the busy shop around the corner.
How to fix life to become more efficient
Smaller things like, having untidy clothes or small cupboard space, can lead to a further mess in your room. Sometimes small things like a laundry bag, and hangars can help you to considerably reduce the mess in your room.
Having lived alone in my parent’s apartment in Hyderabad after graduation while my Parents lived in a different city for work, I had learned a little about how to control the meetings and parties at home so as to be able to affectively return the apartment to it original clean state. I luckily had a maid who visited every day to help clean the place up. In Italy, I was helpless and by my own.
There went my will to host parties again in my life. I would do it only as a team and that too a hardworking team. You never want to be the guy cleaning up all the mess left behind by the most ungrateful party rockers. With small changes, you can maybe influence your friends to behave more responsibly in parties.
Silly self imposed rules that help you get the job done
I visited a pretty Airbnb cottage on the outskirts of Munich recently. This was during the Parents trip to Germany & Italy. We surely did have a great cultural experience as an Indian family in Europe. The house we visited had a culture of taking out your shoes at the entrance. Something very similar to our old Indian culture. Presently, we are too Americanized to care.
The owners were British actually, and the little small step in requesting us to take our shoes out acted like a reminder to the visiting guests to behave and keep clean.
But I also had to study for some competitive exams to get into business school, so I didn’t want to party and drink with friends on a regular basis. So we had study meetings that involved tea & snack breaks, thus the group of guys found to be playing poker and drinking beer one evening of the week, would be studying and staying alcohol free for the other days.
How small steps lead to big gains
Small important changes taken by responsible adults can lead to a smooth life. These small changes like not keeping change in your pocket, to avoid using the coffee vending machine too much, packing extra food neatly for later, in order to not eat too much or cook again, buying a vacuum cleaner to save time cleaning your apartment, buying a simple water purifier with filters that need to be changed every month instead of regularly buying bottled water, can go a long way in making your life simple and efficient.
Finally, we all wish to accomplish a lot in life. But often the time needed to cook a nice meal a day ends up eating up a lot of your time. This is because when we attempt tasks outside of our habit, its natural to take more time. So with small changes you can bring your life in a different direction.
Living in an apartment with new tenants that keep changing every once in a while, I have got used to the ever changing tenants making up my 4 flatmates. A lot of people are surprised when, I tell them I am blogging as a career for now till I began a new employment in Finance.
In a way, the uncertainty of interactions in my apartment make blogging the ideal career for now. Till I move to a new apartment to enjoy privacy. Something that existed in Aquaviva for a brief period once upon a time.
When you cant beat them, join them
For now, let me bask in the noise and chaos as I try to improve my Italian. Time to get new ideas for my blog and learn more about the challenges of living with other people. How to get your work done with minimum hindrance. To learn more about why its important to collaborate with other people. Have a look at this silly little example that speaks a thousand words.
To get rich, you may just have to surround yourself with richer people. To quit smoking, make sure your friends do not smoke. What to do to start a business as a novice with minimum capital and time but maximum enthusiasm? just go ahead and write your blog. One small step at a time, to break free of those barriers towards the direction you wish to head to.
You could learn any language you wish, if you took small baby steps every day. Want to know how I went from not speaking a word in Italian to doing sales in Italy?
Read more interesting stories at milankaraja.com
Break free from Passive Barriers: How to get more done in life with small changes
Benefits of Team Work: Omnipresent I walking home from the supermercato in Milan on a typical rainy winter day. Was soon going to appreciate the simple everyday learnings of life. Stuff that is imbibed in all of us subconsciously but nonetheless has to be highlighted […]